Subject: Re: I can't buil a decent kernel
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/17/2006 22:47:20
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:10:20 +0100
Nuno Pires <nmfp@mega.ist.utl.pt> wrote:

> For a few days I've been experimenting with NetBSD 3.0 and a
> SPARCstation 20 MP (2 X HyperSPARC RT626@180MHz). It boots GENERIC and
>  GENERIC.MP just fine.
>
> The problem is that I can't build a kernel that boots the system.
> Building GENERIC results in a kernel that just makes the system reboot
>  after: "ms0 at zs1 channel 1: baud rate 1200". And it is much bigger
> than the distribution one:

That's odd, I'm running a self-built 2.0.2 kernel on my dual-HyperSparc
SS20 with no problems. Generic 2.0.2MP is around 3.6M and my kernel is
around 2.7M. I started with the GENERIC.MP config, commented out the
bits I didn't need, then built with config and make as you are doing. I
didn't try and change any of the CPU options though.

I haven't tried 3.0 on Sparc yet but I built a 3.0 kernel for a SGI
Challenge S recently and that worked fine as well.

George