Subject: Re: Install: arrows howto ?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/16/2006 11:06:08
> The Sun type 4 and type 5 keyboards send different key sequences for
> the arrow keys.

Sun keyboards (of that era) do not actually send "sequences"; they send
up/down key events.  Everything else is done by software.

In this case, the relevant software is the NetBSD-3.0.1 install kernel,
and, based on looking at the 3.0.1 source, type-4 and type-5 are
treated as identical (see sys/dev/sun/kbd_tables.c's definition of
kbd_type4 and kbd_type5 - and note the T5_* entries in the type-4
table, which presumably really ought to he HOLEs for type-4).

I suspect the root of the problem is that the type-4 has only one set
of arrow keys (on the 2, 4, 6, and 8 keys of the numeric keypad),
whereas the type-5 has two (the same as on the type-4, and dedicated
keys between the numeric keypad and the main keypad).  I see no
indication in the original message of what kind of keyboard is
connected to the Axil; if it has both kinds of arrow keys, try the
other kind.  I doubt that the machine's being an Axil has anything to
do with it (though I suppose it could if that means it has a custom
keyboard or the hardware includes a mapping that gets applied to the
keyboard codes before the OS sees them, but I woukldn't expect either
of those).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign