Subject: Re: individual hme sbus cards vs quad hme sbus cards
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/13/2006 09:09:07
Hi,

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 05:06:47PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
<snip>

> At Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:51:56 +0000,
> Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 08:00:53PM +0200, doomwarrior wrote:
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > so i start my apache on the 'sparky' and wget from my  pc, first with
> > > le0, second with the hme0
> > >
> > > 96.419.840   876.52K/s    ETA 00:00
> > > 96.419.840     2.13M/s    ETA 00:00
> > >
> > > only 2Megs per seconds.  I thourghed I would get at least a boost to
> > > 5Megs or so.  What can I do to speed up the system to (at least)
> > > 3Megs, because I want to upgrade to a faster internet connection,
> > > without changing my lovely 'sparky'.
> >
> > I've never been able to get more than 2 some meg/secs through a hme on
> > a ss20 when the data is going into user space (say via ftp, wget,
> > etc).
>
> On my relatively slow ss20 I get a consistent rate of just over 4 MB/s
> with FTP from the fastest machine on my network:
>
> ftp> get cd3.iso /dev/null
> 229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||58545|)
> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'cd3.iso' (375980032 bytes).
> 226 Transfer complete.
> 375980032 bytes received in 01:27 (4.10 MB/s)

Duh, thanks, what I was testing was the disk i/o speed, not the
networking speed since I was writing the file.  I should have
remembered that.

When I don't do that I get 6meg/sec through a single 180mhz Hypersparc
with ftp to an ok speed server (slow Ultra 10).  That's not too bad.

A 400mhz Ultra manages 8.6meg/sec from the same system so the ss20
isn't far behind.

<snip>

> (My 85 MHz sparc-5 is still easily fast enough for a 4 Mbit aDSL
> connection, even when running quite a few IPF rules and altq.  I have a
> quad-HME card in it and only recently moved the LAN connection over from
> le0 to an HME port when I got an even newer 100baseTX switch.)

This is quite interesting.  Also, I didn't know that a 85mhz SS5 could
deal with a quad hme.  Sun's docs says that only the 170 works because
of a prom space change.

My 110mhz SS4 won't boot with the quad hme pluged in.

BTW, to the original poster: Your wget through the le0 interface is
running at almost 10 mbits/sec, and your hme is running at about 21
megabits/sec, so most faster internet connections will be ok.  Just
use the SS20 as a firewall and don't write to the disk :-)

In fact, from it looks like at the upper end you might get away with a
ss20 on a T3 (45 megabit) connection, but you might not be able to
saturate it.

Thanks!

cheers

bruce