Subject: Re: Beautiful Sparc, take 2
To: Harri Haataja <realblades@gmail.com>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/06/2006 15:17:07
thus Harri Haataja spake:

>> > nice! I own a Indigo² and a PowerMac 7600 too, very nice machines.
>>
>> yip. i have a bunch of sgis here. not intending to start an off-port
>> discussion, the MIPS machines /feel/ much faster than any (comparable,
>> at least this is what the appropriate vendor's datasheet says) USII
>> based machine, as my U2E. especially wrt Octane.
>
> Is that with Irix?

sure.

> There's definitely something funny in those. The
> 8-bit screens work nice, you can't feel the load hits as anything
> except the overloading process(es) getting slower etc.

8-bit screens? where? :)

> The downright
> nicest user experience I've had UI-wise probably came from my dear
> 2xR10k Octane. The outdated/misguied wimp gui puts some hit on that as
> I've since moved to a tiling world, but still.
>
>> > You
>> > also own one of the early RS6000, keep it, cool hardware.
>> well, yes, i like seeing progress on the port-prep and related ports. i
>> like PowerPC ;)
>
> I gave up mine (7012, 7006, Indy, I2, Octane, NeXT, 700RX) along with
> the sgi's eventually. There just wasn't enough room

i'm going to move abroad next year... a lot of work ahead.

> and time

yip.

> and power
> and energy.

they really don't have to run 24/7; at least, not all of them. depending
on where you live you could get power from alternative sources (sun,
wind, water) -- that's what i'm going to do. unfortunately, those old
machines are way too hungry (an U1 consumes about 170 watt, regardless
of its load).

> I miss them all already. There's still an SS5, SS1+ and a
> 715/80 left, doing nothing much atm. *sigh*

that's the way it is.