Subject: Re: Memory on a sparc 20
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/22/2006 15:52:12
> Subject: Memory on a sparc 20

> Is there a function in NetBSD that will tell me the size of each
> memory stick ?

Not by default.  It would be fairly easy to add something that returned
the physical-memory list passed by the firmware, but AFAIK it's not
there now.

> It would be alot easier than removing them one at a time or removing
> them to read the part number.

There's no need to do that.  Bring it down to the ok prompt, then
"setenv diag-switch? true" and "reset".  Before the banner you'll see a
list of memory slots with the size of the memory found in each.

The numbering is scrambled with respect to physical order; according to
my notes - which may not match even my machine, never mind yours,
though I *think* I got them right - the physical memory slots are laid
out like this, where the numbers are as reported in the pre-banner
memory layout table.  (Note the two extra-width slots; this will allow
you to orient the diagram correctly.  These are the slots you have to
use if you're adding VSIMMs for cg14 video.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign