Subject: 3.99.21 on SS10 hangs on access to Magma serial card
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/18/2006 14:47:29
I have a SPARCstation 10 which I hope to use as a NAT/firewall machine.
Since I'm on a dial-up connection and the built-in serial ports can't
handle a 56K modem, I have a Magma LC2+1sp card.

Unfortunately, accessing the ports on the card cause the machine to lock
up hard--no console messages or anything.

See http://mylinuxisp.com/~jdbaker/misc/nozette.boot for dmesg, listings
of /etc/ttys, and the relevant devices from /dev/.

A few notes from further experimenting.  If a modem is attached to a
port, the boot-time 'ttyflags' succeeds, but upon accessing the device
with 'tip' or 'cu', the machine locks up.

If nothing is attached to a port, it will hang at the 'ttyflags' stage
on boot.  Configuring as a terminal port hangs the machine as soon as
getty picks it up.

I've been successfully using this same arrangement on a SPARCstation 5
for a number of years now (following the import of changes to the
audiocs driver made by OpenBSD) and it is running fine with 3.99.17.
The SS10's behavior seems to indicate a similar problem (interrupt
conflict with another device).

I plan to test with 3.0-release to see if it's related to something
just broken in -current or if it's related to the specific platform.
Any other hints?

--
John D. Baker
jdbaker at mylinuxisp dot com