Subject: Re: High availability under NetBSD (automatic wakeup for the moment).
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Kurt Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/05/2006 23:39:33
John Nemeth wrote:
> On Oct 21,  4:48am, Laurent FAILLIE wrote:
> }
> } under Solaris, it's possible to tell to an ultra sparc
> } to wake up at a certain time. Is it possible to do the
> } same thing with an SS5 or SS20 under NetBSD 2.1 or
> } NetBSD 3.0 ?
>
>      I don't think NetBSD currently has much in the way power
> management for sparc based machines.  Also, I don't know if the SS5 and
> SS20 have the necessary hardware support.  Can Solaris tell these
> machines to wake up at a certain time?

I doubt it, I think it's sun4u thing only.  There used to be
publically available a program that would use the undocumented
ioctl calls in Solaris to set or clear the time-of-day wakeup
counter on the sun4u.

I've placed a copy of the program here, in case someone wants
to have a go at implementing something similar in netbsd:

	http://www.pix.net/staff/lidl/wakeup.c

Trolling through the relevant sections of OpenSolaris might yield
some interesting datapoints about which bits need to be set in the
TOD chip to make it wake up the machine.

-Kurt