Subject: Re: High availability under NetBSD (automatic wakeup for the moment).
To: Laurent FAILLIE <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/05/2006 19:11:06
On Oct 21,  4:48am, Laurent FAILLIE wrote:
}
} under Solaris, it's possible to tell to an ultra sparc
} to wake up at a certain time. Is it possible to do the
} same thing with an SS5 or SS20 under NetBSD 2.1 or
} NetBSD 3.0 ?

     I don't think NetBSD currently has much in the way power
management for sparc based machines.  Also, I don't know if the SS5 and
SS20 have the necessary hardware support.  Can Solaris tell these
machines to wake up at a certain time?

} Under Linux, a command named EtherWake allow to wakeup
} thru it's Ethernet card.
} Is it a counter part under NetBSD ?

     You can use net/wakeup or net/wol from pkgsrc for this purpose.

} Is ethernet wakeup available on Sparc classic or Ultra
} Sparc machine ?

     I don't know if these machines have the necessary hardware
support.  One major clue is to see if the switchport to which the
machine is plugged has a light on when the machine is turned off.

}-- End of excerpt from Laurent FAILLIE