Subject: Re: is it hardware or software thats broken?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/24/2006 15:57:15
> Suns have ECC memory, which is much more "robust" than PeeCees.  Most
> memory errors are detected and corrected, rather than silenty causing
> problems with running processes.

Saying this is true of "Suns" is a bit misleading.  There probably are
Suns that won't work without ECC memory.  Some support it but will work
with basic parity memory.  Some will even take non-parity memory.  I
don't know all the combinations, but I am quite sure that there are
Suns that don't do ECC, and some that do ECC if you put ECC memory in
them but will work with other memory.

(I don't know which kind the SS5 is.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign