Subject: Re: scsi question with sparcstation.
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/20/2006 09:39:01
On 20.06.06, 15:42:24, Brett Lymn wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 04:06:18PM +1000, Paul (NCC/CS). wrote:
> >
> > ok so if it's a more modern standard it won't work yeah?
> >

> It may or may not work.  Not seeing the drives is not a good start.
> Do they spin up and make noises?  What model drives are they?
>

> > maybe it's just a termination issue?
> >

> It could very well be - a lot of drives have internal termination and,
> by default, have it enabled (the TE link on Seagate drives).  Weird
> Things (tm) can happen if you terminate a scsi bus in the middle
> unexpectedly.

But other than that, virtually all modern drives should degrade
gracefully to whatever low speed the host adapter can do (even
async, narrow). Even mixing Ultra ("Fast20") and Fast speeds on
the same bus is ok, the only thing that will not work is LVD and
SE drives on the same bus, but all LVD drives that I know will also
do SE. It may be wise (if possible) to configure them to SE
explicitly, usually via a jumper.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: serves you right.