Subject: Re: is it hardware or software thats broken?
To: Johan A. van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
From: Paul (NCC/CS). <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/20/2006 12:21:49
"Johan A. van Zanten" wrote:

> "Paul (NCC/CS)." <pts@bom.gov.au> wrote:
> > ===> Patching for pcre-6.6
> > ===> Applying pkgsrc patches for pcre-6.6
> > ===> Overriding tools for pcre-6.6
> > ===> Creating toolchain wrappers for pcre-6.6
> > ===> Configuring for pcre-6.6
> > #
> >
> > WHAT ???
> > it just stopped dead here. no message.
>
> Odd.
>
>  If you feel like trying it again, can you type the following, as the very
> first thing after it dumps you at the prompt:
>
> echo $?
>
>  That should give you a number that's the exit code of the last command.
> zero (0) means exited with error.  Anything else means something exited
> with an error.
>
>  To determine what the shell is, i'd type just "ps" though it appears from
>  the ps output that it's the Bourne shell.
>
>  Hmm.. now here's an interesting idea.  Could it be possible that one of
> the Makefiles is starting  Bourne shell (sh) script and that script is
> behaving oddly and then giving you a "#" ?
>
>  If you type "exit" what happens?  Does the connect close or does the
>  build resume?
>
>  The latter would indicate it's a shell script with problems.
>
>  -johan

Hi,

I typed exit and it went back to the build, but it had no make file.
I guess configure failed.

# exit
===> Building for pcre-6.6
make: cannot open Makefile.

make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/pcre/work/pcre-6.6
*** Error code 2

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/pcre
===>
===> There was an error during the ``build'' phase.
===> Please investigate the following for more information:
===>      * log of the build
===>      * /usr/pkgsrc/devel/pcre/work/.work.log
===>
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/pcre
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/pcre
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/lang/clisp
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/lang/clisp
tracy#

then i went directly  to the dir for this port and typed make
and got same result.
so then make clean; make;

and now it's happily building away...

go figure...

it'll crash again.

next time it happens i'll remember to look at the work.log

chs,

p.

Paul
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology