Subject: Re: is it hardware or software thats broken?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Paul (NCC/CS). <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/20/2006 10:50:58
Greg Troxel wrote:

> Can you run build.sh ok?  If so, and it's only pkgsrc builds that
> lose, that would make me think your hw is ok.
>
> not really relevant (U5 vs SS5), but maybe:
>
> I have an ultra5 that was stable on netbsd-2 for a long time and
> started crashing over night.  it turned out to be hardware, and
> swapping the cpu box fixed it.  I then built netbsd-3 and updated, and
> it's still fine.  When my father went scrounging in the spare U5 pile,
> he went through about 3 before he found one that would boot - which
> was surprising.

thanks Greg.

I've started from scratch as a few folks suggested my pkgsrc could
be hosed.

If it fails i might try the build.sh.  Good idea.

Interesting about your Dad though. It just shows that 3.0 is a bit
picky about what hardware it runs on.

I've got 2.0 on as 3.0 won't have a bar of my machine.
It boots install kernel ok and installs fine.
Then GENERIC kernel on boot has a hernia.

we'll see how this goes.
just started the new build with fresh install and fresh pkgsrc from Q1 2006.

chs,
Paul.

> --
>         Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>