Subject: Is my shell a bad choice?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/18/2006 13:53:10
Hi,
thanks for all the replys and help re memory problems.
Very grateful.

A new question i'll come to, first interesting background:

- if i build ghostview gv it will fail on some dependency
package.
But if I go directly to that package and build it alone,
it is working.
This indicates to me that when the stack gets big,
perhaps through use of the shell, trouble arises.

-Also I tried to build clisp, but it fails in minitests.
then i remembered this from before. I googled for my old
posts and found that Valery the clisp guy said in 2002
when i had minitests failing that my stack ulimit was
too low in the shell.

I can't remember what i did then to fix it but it then
occurred to me that I'm using --> tcsh as the default
root shell. ie to build all this stuff.

Could that be why my builds fail, and/or should i
set this shell up different?

I just did:
spirit# limit
cputime      unlimited
filesize     unlimited
datasize     131072 kbytes
stacksize    2048 kbytes
coredumpsize 1000000 kbytes
memoryuse    503664 kbytes
descriptors  64
memorylocked 167888 kbytes
maxproc      160
spirit#

perhaps i've answered my own question, but i'd
still be grateful to here opinions on the use of tcsh
as a root shell for building pkgsrc?

thanks!
Paul.

Paul