Subject: Beautiful Sparc take 2.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Magnus Svantesson <magnus.svantesson@bredband.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/30/2006 21:07:52
=20
Being the originator of list mail-trace, I must say I feel a bit scared
=B4bout all your numbers...
I love my SS20; its more mechanical solid than any computer I=B4ve ever =
used.
It reeks of quality.

As I originally stated in this mail, I am a newbie, so could you pls
elaborate on how to do a "optimized V8 build"?

I just  recently lost my kernel-virginity. I downloaded the sourcecode,
built the toolchain and then compiled and installed my kernel. It now =
runs
solidly on 3 90MHz Hypersparcs. =20
How do I go about to improve the speed even more? Is there a GCC.conf
somewhere?

Also; I have a Happy Meal card wich I would prefer to use rather than =
the
le0. But when I plug in my 100 Mbs :-)! from my ISP into hme0, my Sparc
spews out warnings about le0-connection lost. And when I give the =
"ifconfig
le0 down" command, it just switches warning, telling me that it lost =
contact
with the card instead... :-(

Finally, I am in the market for a windowsmanager. I tried downloading =
Gnome,
which went belly-up because some packages weren=B4t available.
So instead I tried compiing it myself (/pkgsrc.../meta-packages.. make
install clean). Same problem though:libgcrypt wouldnt compile. And
consequently Fluxbox wouldnt compile either; libxslt need libgcrypt, so
there you are..

Are there any windowsmanagers which could be recommended? If possible, =
being
such a newbie, I would prefer something sheltering and all-encompassing =
like
Gnome or KDE. But any suggestions are welcome!

Cheers/Magnus