Subject: Re: Beautiful Sparc, take 2
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/30/2006 08:52:23
Hi,

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 08:53:16AM +0200, Timo Schoeler wrote:

> >Yes the SM85 is really rare and not supportet by sun for the
> >SS10/SS20. Of course they run out of the box but you will get into
> >overheating problems (especially in the SS20)
>
> yes, that's why they're not supported. put in two hot HDs and there's
> really a problem. build in better fans, and you can go for a quad
> HyperSPARC with two HDs.

If by SM85 one means the 85mhz SuperSparc II then I'm not so sure
that they overheat so badly.  Of course, it might depend on exactly
what version one has.

Using my unscientific testing, ie, run the systems for a while, pop
the top, and put ones thumb on the heat sink method, the
180mhz Hypersparc is hotter than the 85mhz SSII.  I don't feel
a huge difference between the 60mhz SSI and the 85mhz SSII in heat,
but, my sample size is one of each type of processsor...

My guess would be in a not too hot environment, with a minimum of
sbus slots populated and not two hot hard disks you'd be fine
with 2 85mhz SuperSparc IIs in a system.

Right now on ebay no one seems to be selling one cheaply.  If you
watch you shouldn't have to wait too many weeks to find one
that is cheap though.

cheers

bruce

--