Subject: Re: mirrored root w/ raidframe - howto install bootblock?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/18/2006 18:02:59
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_May_18_18:02:57_2006-1

At Mon, 15 May 2006 07:50:25 -0400,
Greg Troxel wrote:
>=20
> sparc uses bootxx and boot.  Two things needed for nicely dealing with
> booting for RAID-1 seem to be missing (i.e., I can't find them):
>=20
>   installboot finding blocks from one filesystem (e.g., raid0a), and
>   translating those to offsets relative to the entire disk for bootxx,
>   so that bootxx can load /boot from RAID.
>=20
>   /boot skipping over the raid header so it can load the kernel from RAID
>=20
> So, does anyone out there have a sparc system that boots from RAID-1?
> From my code reading, it looks like it can't work.

No, it cannot work.  NetBSD/sparc still doesn't support booting from
RAIDframe RAID-1 partitions.

The ideal fix might actually be be to use ofwboot on sparc, but that
code assumes features unique to newer versions of OFW.  I tried hacking
on it long ago but didn't have the time then (or now) to learn enough
about the various versions of OFW to make it portable.  Someone who is
sufficiently familiar with OFW might get it working in no time at all.

(The fact that all the sparc64 boot stuff lives under sys/arch/sparc,
including even the likes of ofwboot.c which cannot now work on sparc,
confused the heck out of me for a major amount of time a couple of years
ago when I was first trying to figure all this stuff out.)

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>