Subject: Re: mirrored root w/ raidframe - howto install bootblock?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/14/2006 15:12:57
On Sun, 14 May 2006, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> 	# installboot -v /dev/rsd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot
>
> I guess you want
>
>  installboot -v /dev/rraid0a /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot
>
> instead.

That command worked, but I cannot boot from the RAID now:

Remember that sd1 has SCSI ID 3 and is the original boot disk, and sd0 has
SCS ID 0. Now trying the following command to boot off the second disk (ID
0 == 'disk0' in OFW):

===>	<#0> ok boot disk0
 	Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@0,0  File and
 	args:

 	Can't open boot device

 	<#0> ok
===>	<#0> ok boot disk0:a
 	Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@0,0:a  File and
 	args:

 	Can't open boot device

My guess is that OpenFirmware can't locate the FFS partition inside the
RAID volume. The machine has ROM Rev. 2.25.

> Do sparc bootblocks support booting from raid as root?

raidctl(8)'s description of -A has:

 		Note that only certain architectures (currently
              alpha, i386, pmax, sparc, sparc64, and vax) support booting a
              kernel directly from a RAID set.

I guess that's a "yes", so I must be doing something obvious wrong.
But what is it?

  - Hubert