Subject: Re: Beautiful Sparc, take 2
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: John Gould <johng@powinv.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/12/2006 14:34:47
On Thu, 11 May 2006, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> Hello there,
>>             I've tried the above to build a kernel for XFree and also with
>> these notes:-
>>
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2005/10/01/0000.html
>>
>> The kernel builds fine but does not boot, I get a data error on boot and
>> then immediately a watchdog timer reset. My sources are up to date as of
>> yesterday the 10/05/2006. Any pointers as to what I should do now?
>
> Any old object files sitting around? Maybe the kernel is too big, did you
> remove all the drivers you don't need?
> Do you get any output from the kernel itself before it crashes?
>
>> My dmesg with a standard -current kernel is below, if anyone wants my
>> kernel config file please let me know.
>
> I'll build a kernel for you if you want, just to see how generic the problem
> is. A wscons kernel built for my sparcbook from sources updated a few days
> ago works fine btw.
>
> have fun
> Michael

Hello Michael,
               Thank you for the offer to build a wscons kernel for me. I
tried to build a smaller kernel today (make clean first) with the same
result a data error on boot and then a watchdog timer reset. The two wscons
kernels that I've tried have 3993875 and 3817243 bytes sizes respecively.
The -current kernel is 3933971 bytes. So I do not think the problem is
that the kernel is too big.

I get the following dmesg left behind after booting my second wscons
kernel :-

NetBSD 3.99.19 (MYKERNELW) #2: Fri May 12 13:04:39 BST 2006

johng@arthur.powinv.co.uk:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/MYKERNELW
total memory = 127 MB
avail memory = 121 MB
bootpath:
/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0
mainbus0 (root): SUNW,SPARCstation-20: hostid 723c01ea
cpu0 at mainbus0Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002,
2003, 200
4, 2005, 2006
     The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
     The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

Then nothing more...

The console shows 'data error' and then a string of parameters but the
watchdog timer reset is too quick for me to capture. I guess this would
also be true for a serial console.

So, I would be very grateful if you will build me a wscons kernel. Could
you also let me have the kernel config file so that I can repeat the
compile here? Have you an ftp area where I can pick these up or can you
email to me? Again, thanks very much for your help.

Best regards John.