Subject: Beautiful Sparc, take 2
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Magnus Svantesson <magnus.svantesson@bredband.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/2006 23:41:49
It was a relief to see that there are more people who like me seem to be
able to enjoy a computer who wasn=B4t built by the lowest bidder, is not =
built
by cardboard, doesn=B4t have blue-glow incandescent lighting built in on =
the
motherboard and reeks of that mysterious concept called: "Quality" :-)

Maybe 3 processors isn=B4t that common, but who am I to complain? :-)
=20
I got the Sparc, courtesy by agency policy.
Everything suddenly had to be PC, so our working methods based on =
Sun=B4s
+Solaris + thin clients were replaced by noisy PC=B4s. Cheap enough to =
be
replaced every 3 years... :-(
=20
I had the choice of 3X90 MHz Ross=B4s or 2X150 MHz Sun processors. Since =
I had
heard a little about overheating problems, I took the Ross processors =
(mind
you, I might still have the option of the 150 MHz ?Supersparcs?. :-)
I also  have a 10/100 hme0, but since only le0 was discovered during
installation, I connected to the latter.
=20
The sparc included what is supposed to be a special bootprom (ROM  2.22
HyperCACHE) required for the Ross processors. I dont know if that might
affect my chance of mixing different processors (although at this point, =
it
feels like its something I might worry about later)?

Also included in the gift was a behemoth 20 inch Sun monitor weighing =
tons.
Reading the nameplate on the back of the monitor, upside down, while
standing on a chair, I believe it says: GDM20E20

My rc.conf says:
rc_configured=3Dyes
hostname=3Dsparc20
sendmail=3Dno
ntpdate=3Dyes
dhclient=3Dyes dhclient_flags=3D -q
dmesg=3Dyes
sshd=3Dyes

PACKAGE PROBLEMS:

After:
"setenv PKG_PATH ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSDPackages3.0/sparc/all"

=20
I try:
"pkg_add -v Bash"
=20
The response I get is (and its a long one):=20
=20
parsing: ftp://ftp.netbsd.....
path:// ftp.NetBSD......
increasing RLIMIT_NOFILE to max. 1772 open files
trying PKG:PATH ftp://ftp.NetBSD...
Spawning FTP coprocess
ftp -detv ftp://ftp.NetBSD...
ftp: connect to address 2001:4f8:4:7:2e0:81ff:fe21:6563: no route to =
host
pkg_add expect1 failed, rc=3D0
pkg_add: ftp_start() failed
Reusing FDs 4/5 for communication to FTP coprocess
=20
=20
=20
ftp> nlist bash.tbz /var/tmp/pkg.00440a
SIGPIPE
pkg_add: short write: Broken pipe
pkg_add: nlist failed!
Reusing FDs 4/5 for communication to FTP coprocess

ftp> nlist bash.tbz /var/tmp/pkg.00440b
SIGPIPE
pkg_add: short write: Broken pipe
pkg_add: nlist failed!
Reusing FDs 4/5 for communication to FTP coprocess

ftp> nlist bash.tbz /var/tmp/pkg.00440c
SIGPIPE
pkg_add: short write: Broken pipe
pkg_add: nlist failed!
pkg_add: no pkg found for "bash", sorry.
pkg_add: 1 package addition failed

Using "traceroute www.google.com" I the hops +timing and IP-adresses, so =
guess that program runs as it should.

X PROBLEMS

Using: "/usr/X11R6/bin/start", I get "command not found".

ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/X gives me: Lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 19 dec 19 04:59
/usr/X11R6/bin/X -> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xsun (which is good news?)

And ls -L /usr/X11R6/bin/X just gave me: /usr/X11R6/bin/X

startX gives me:

"Xauth: bad dispaly name sparc20:0 list"=20
"Xauth: bad display name sparc20:0 add"

After that there is something about my sparc cant find a number of
fonts.....=20

Then:
"XLIB: extension "RENDER" missing on display 0:0"

Cheers/Magnus