Subject: Beautiful Sparc
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Magnus Svantesson <magnus.svantesson@bredband.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/2006 06:35:12
I have for quite some time now been trying to revive a  3X 90 MHz
Hypersparc-equipped Sparc 20.
CG6, 512 Mb and a whooping external 36 GB HD.

My delight for this machine is only comparable with my inability to have
NetBSD run properly on it.

I have successfully (I think) managed to install the base-NetBSD 3.0 system
onboard.
The /etc/ifconfig.le0 is at place. Resolv.conf shows me 3 DNS servers from
my ISP DHCP.
I can ping with both URL- and TCP/IP, but when I try to FTP it tells me,
well...rude things I think (ok, I am a Mac-man originally in case you havent
noticed :-).
Consequently I can not install anything from the net.

I have CSH and have checked the .cshrc so that it looks ok (SET PATH seems
ok).
After running X -probeonly, it spews out massive amounts of lines, but when
I run startx I get 3 hardly readable windows & everything on the screen
tells
me I really dont know what I am doing (I do however get a swedish keyboard,
which is nice).

I believe .xinitrc is a file which I modify so that the OS knows something
about the graphical environment in which it is supposed to work.
I have tried to locate the .xinitrc without success.
Is it in fact a empty file that I create with Vi, fill with stuff  & place
in the users root catalog?

Almost all tips, hints and suggestions I can find on the net relates to a
PC-installation.
The fact tthat I can not find the xinitrc, this holy grail of TVM, where it
was suppposed to be (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc), makes me assume that
the installation of NetBSD on a Sparc is quite different than that of a PC?

I would be most gratefull if anyone who have set up a similar machine could
give me any hints (apart from the obvious RTFM (which I have done)).

        Cheers/Magnus
        Stockholm