Subject: Re: SS2 hardware on SS20 ?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Kurt J. Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/12/2006 13:19:14
On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 02:00:37AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> > I've got a SS20.  Unfortunatly, it has only 1 Ethernet card and I
> > need 2 to use it as my network gateway.  I have also a SS2 with 3
> > Ethernet connections.  Is it possible to use one card of my SS2
> > inside the SS20 ?
>
> Almost certainly; both are SBus machines, and, while there are a few
> exceptions, for the most part SBus is SBus is SBus - at least
> electrically.

Mostly true.  Different machines provide differing amounts of power.

In particular, the UltraSparc based machines do not source as much
power as older machines, and cannot use some of the older generation
sbus cards.  In particular, the Ultra machines cannot drive the
original GX cards, nor the multi-slot video cards.

For this particular application, I think they should "just work".

-Kurt