Subject: Re: SS2 hardware on SS20 ?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/12/2006 02:00:37
> I've got a SS20.  Unfortunatly, it has only 1 Ethernet card and I
> need 2 to use it as my network gateway.  I have also a SS2 with 3
> Ethernet connections.  Is it possible to use one card of my SS2
> inside the SS20 ?

Almost certainly; both are SBus machines, and, while there are a few
exceptions, for the most part SBus is SBus is SBus - at least
electrically.  There are some potential mechanical problems; I can't
easily dig out a 2 and a 20 at the moment to see how compatible they
are, but the basic issue is that some machines expect the cards to have
little "ears" on the top edge to hook into holes for mechanical
mounting, whereas others expect the cards to have screw holes near the
edges, and yet others expect the top edge of the card to hook behind a
lip on the case.  Some cards have screw holes at the edges and a narrow
removable metal piece at the top providing ears for ear-style mounting.

But if it fits mechanically, it is almost certain to Just Work.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign