Subject: Re: individual hme sbus cards vs quad hme sbus cards
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/08/2006 14:36:02
On 08.03.06, 12:24:52, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Ultra II which NFS mounts a disk in a SS20.  The U2
> has 2 400mhz UII processors.  The SS20 has 2 180mhz Hypersparcs.
> The SS20 has a quad hme and the UII has a single on board hme and talk
> to each other through some cheap switch.
>
> I can get approx 4meg/sec off of the SS20 disk when the UII does the
> reading.  Going the other direction it slows down to about 1.5meg/sec
> writing.

Using dd/netcat (nc) between an AthlonXP 2400+ with epic interface
(epic0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0: SMC 83c170 Fast Ethernet) and a
TriTec SS20-Clone with two SM70 (75MHz SuperSPARC-II) I get around
3.2MB/s from PC to Sun, and 2.1MB/s from Sun to PC via a single
hme. Also via a cheap switch (which does, however, handle 11MB/s
between the PC and an Octane).

This completely uses up one cpu (around 80% interrupt, 20% system
load when reading, 50% interrupt and 50% system when sending.)

I was copying /dev/zero to /dev/null. Locally the Sun does this at
around 62MB/s, so this overhead is minor.

The machine also runs a squid, and retrieving a longish file that
is already in the cache also yields around 1.8 to 2.0MB/s. It also
does ipf/ipnat, but the outside link is too slow (ADSL/PPPoE via
onboard le0) for any useful measurement.

> While reading cpu 0 on the ss20 shows about 80% interrupt time.
>
> The same SS20 has two other hme intefaces which I run ipf on.  When
> I read from   the UII through the SS20 as the (very basic) firewall
> to a Powermac I can get a bit over 2meg/sec.  When the SS20 had 100mhz
> processors rather than 180 ones it ran a bit over 1meg/sec.  Once again
> this basically completely occupies cpu 0.

> cheers
>
> bruce
>
> --
> edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org