Subject: Memory again.... 'nbmake: cannot allocate memory'
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Pernfuss <elessar@bsdforen.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/20/2006 23:59:45
--Sig_ssy4N5BSUeEFAR/WrZqJy=u

Hi.

So once the memory errors are gone, I don't have enough it seems -
something I would consider unlikely with still 448MB RAM.

But a `build.sh [-u] build' always dies with:

do-lib-libc =3D=3D=3D> .
dependall =3D=3D=3D> lib/libc
sbrk: grow 4096 failed, error =3D 12
sbrk: grow 16384 failed, error =3D 12
sbrk: grow 4096 failed, error =3D 12
nbmake: Cannot allocate memory.

*** Failed target:  dependall
*** Failed command: cd /usr/src/lib/libc; \
	/usr/src/obj/tooldir.NetBSD-3.0.0_STABLE-sparc/bin/nbmake realall
*** Error code 2

Always at this point: dependall for the libc.
Browsing various mailing list archives, I found that I may have to
unlimit build.sh, so I did that. Right now I have:

elessar@garm: /usr/src# limit
cputime      unlimited
filesize     unlimited
datasize     524288 kbytes
stacksize    524288 kbytes
coredumpsize unlimited
memoryuse    unlimited
descriptors  1772=20
memorylocked unlimited
maxproc      532=20

The build still breaks with the above error message. brk(2) lists 3
possibilities for this:

	1. the limit set by setrlimit(2) is reached
	2. insufficient swap space
	3. The maximum possible size of a data segment (compiled
	   into the system) was exceeded.

1) I doubt that is still the cause after raising every limit to
   'unlimited' (or the max value that 'unlimited' delivers)
2) 448MB RAM, 256MB Swap (that looks like it nerver gets touched).
   I can't see how that is the limit I'm running into

Leaves (3.) as the limit I have to raise. It is compiled into the
system. But where? Couldn't find a hint in the GENERIC kernel
config. apropos(1) find nothing too.

Any hints? Debug switches that could shed light onto this?

	Regards, Joerg

--=20
| /"\   ASCII ribbon   |  GnuPG Key ID | e86d b753 3deb e749 6c3a |
| \ / campaign against |    0xbbcaad24 | 5706 1f7d 6cfd bbca ad24 |
|  X    HTML in email  |  Now featuring a brand new GPG-Key!      |
| / \     and news     |  Please update your keyring.             |