Subject: Re: SPARCbook and XFree86
To: Christer O. Andersson <christer@a-son.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/29/2006 17:09:36
--Signature_Sun__29_Jan_2006_17_09_36_-0500_SiakBN42iPdVo/9/

Hello,

> I am typing this from it, via ssh to my normal desktop. Textmode
> is really fast, and running mozilla is also a real pleasure, it
> renders pages like a champ.

Nice :)

> Is it something in particular I can test? So far everything is
> working as expected, or perhaps even above expectation :)

Please torture it a bit - preferrably with lots of coloured text, lines
and so on under high CPU load. During my hackery I occasionally had the
pattern registers mixed up which causes rather funny effects for
instance in xterm's scrollbar. I /think/ I fixed it but the effect was
random so I'm not entirely sure yet.

> I followed your instructions from "Rants & Ramblings", and everything
> just worked. I did have to change the symbolic link X to point at
> XFree86 though.

That's normal since NetBSD/sparc defaults to Xsun, at least as long as
it's not using wscons by default. If I forgot to mention that I'll fix
it.

> Thanks for providing both the support for Tadpole as well as good
> instructions for getting it up and running!

Thanks for playing with it ;)

Now if someone at Tadpole could tell me how to switch to 24bit colour...
sadly the docs I have are incomplete and those dealing with higher
colour depth are for PCI and VLB chips which apparently differ
substantially from the SBus variant used in the SPARCbook.

have fun
Michael