Subject: Re: Thanks for heat warnings, Sparc 10 newly installed
To: Ted Havelka <ted@cs.pdx.edu>
From: khaqq <khaqq@free.fr>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/28/2006 00:12:52
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:42:17 -0800 (PST)
Ted Havelka <ted@cs.pdx.edu> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Thank you for the warnings about the heat from a four-processor Sparc
> system with the "pizza box" form factor.  While I had the hood open to
> install a hard drive, I noticed that the dual Ross-processor cards quickly
> heat up.  Since I'd like this system to work for a long time to come, I
> took the cautious route and removed one of the Ross processor cards.

Running without the top cover may actually increase overheating, as
those pizzabox chassis are designed to push air from right to left, which
does not happen without the cover.
If you do not need quad CPUs, removing one of the modules will both save
power and should yield better reliability.

> Remarkably someone had dumped this Sparc 10 about a year ago by the
> dumpster of the apartment complex where I live in Portland, Oregon.  It
> had rained all day, and I was literally pouring water out of the chassis
> of this computer.  After a week's drying I booted up and watched prom
> messages from an instance of hyperterminal running on an old i80386-based
> monochrome laptop.  That's how I learned the system was still alive.

Lucky...

khaqq