Subject: Thanks for heat warnings, Sparc 10 newly installed
To: NetBSD Sparc Users List <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Ted Havelka <ted@cs.pdx.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/27/2006 08:42:17
Hello All,

Thank you for the warnings about the heat from a four-processor Sparc
system with the "pizza box" form factor.  While I had the hood open to
install a hard drive, I noticed that the dual Ross-processor cards quickly
heat up.  Since I'd like this system to work for a long time to come, I
took the cautious route and removed one of the Ross processor cards.

Remarkably someone had dumped this Sparc 10 about a year ago by the
dumpster of the apartment complex where I live in Portland, Oregon.  It
had rained all day, and I was literally pouring water out of the chassis
of this computer.  After a week's drying I booted up and watched prom
messages from an instance of hyperterminal running on an old i80386-based
monochrome laptop.  That's how I learned the system was still alive.

Sometimes life has a way of pushing aside the fun stuff for longer spells,
but I managed a NetBSD install last night.  I'm now writing from that
Sparc 10, with NetBSD 2.0.2 up and running.

It's a lot faster than the Sparc Classic.  But I still need to learn how
to get key repetition going on these Sun systems!

Thanks again everyone -- stay well,

- Ted
                                       -   O
Portland State Aerospace Society    -   _<_\_         Veris Industries
http://psas.pdx.edu                    W >\_             www.veris.com
ted@cs.pdx.edu                        ( ) ( )    ted.havelka@veris.com