Subject: Re: Installing on Ross-processor systems
To: Ted Havelka <ted@cs.pdx.edu>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/27/2006 11:58:47
Hi,

I use assorted versions of NetBSD on a few different sparc 20s,
all of which have at different times had from 1 to 4 hypersparcs
and, when I want to slow them down, and old supersparc as well,
plugged in.

I've never had any problems with any combo, except, I can't
seem to get a build.sh release to run all the way through
when I tell it to optimize for the hypersparc.  This isn't a big
issue though.

I've done some playing around with integer intensive programs built
with/and without the -mcpu=hypersparc option and I don't see any
huge gains with it.

A 4 cpu sparc20 is quite a nice box.  I'd imagine that a sparc 10
would be similiar, but, as others have pointed out, watch the heat.

cheers

bruce

edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org