Subject: Re: disk for SS20 ?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/25/2006 11:17:11
On 25.01.06, 09:59:56, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it should work.  I run an 18gig U160 disk in my SS20 and
> it works fine.  It is slower than the exact same type of disk in
> an Ultra 2.
>
> You also might want to watch:
>
> - total heat

Make sure the disk cooling fan is present and working, just to the
right of the disk sleds.

> - Peak startup current.
>
> I don't know if the SS20 stages the startup of multiple disks, so, you
> might not want to put two disks where the sum of the peak start
> current exceeds the power supply.  OTOH, if it stages the startup (ie,

Many drives can do a delayed spin-up themselves, often something
like <SCSI-ID> seconds of delay before the motor starts, so the
startup current peaks are distributed. So ID 0 starts immediately,
if you put the second disk on ID6, it starts after 6 seconds delay.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Are you old enough to run it?
		-- Tom Harvey