Subject: Re: disk for SS20 ?
To: Heitzso <heitzso@growthmodels.com>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/25/2006 09:59:56
Hi,

I think it should work.  I run an 18gig U160 disk in my SS20 and
it works fine.  It is slower than the exact same type of disk in
an Ultra 2.

You also might want to watch:

- total heat
- normal running current, especially the 12V draw since that's the
motor.
- Peak startup current.

I don't know if the SS20 stages the startup of multiple disks, so, you
might not want to put two disks where the sum of the peak start
current exceeds the power supply.  OTOH, if it stages the startup (ie,
start 1, wait 5-10 secs or so, start the second) then it's fine. In
my case Fujitsu claims 3A @ 12V peak, and I vaguely recall the SS20
having a 4 or 4.5A @ 12V output.

Or, you could just experiment and make sure if it's important you have
a spare power supply sitting around.  It's not like you going to void
any Sun guarantee or anything :-) If you do this, please be safe
though.

cheers

bruce

--