Subject: Re: quick questions ....
To: Heitzso <heitzso@growthmodels.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/23/2006 20:43:08
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 05:47:38PM -0500, Heitzso wrote:
> Some of these questions are not limited to sparc, but thought
> they might be trivial and hence easily answered on this list ...
>
> There's /usr/src/*/gcc and /usr/pkgsrc/*/gcc ... why, and what is
> the correct way to update this/these?

/usr/src/*/gcc is the one provided with the base system, and the one used
to build the system. It's the official NetBSD compiler.
/usr/pkgsrc/*/gcc provide gcc for those who need a newer gcc than the one
in the base system, or have a compiler which is not gcc (remember that
pkgsrc runs on others OS than NetBSD).

> What about /usr/src/x11 and /usr/pkgsrc/x11?  My postinstall
> check is complaining about x11 not correctly installed.  But
> I don't know where to start re x11 given /usr/src and /usr/pkgsrc.

Same as for gcc.
What error is postinstall giving you (is it an upgrade and if so, from where?)

> Trying to update glib is causing me grief.  I'm running version
> from recent CD posted, but then pulled down CVS pkgsrc.
> lint is reporting my glib is old.  I go into glib and run
>    make update
> I'm guessing early on the package delete is breaking but
> the make runs on.  Eventually, some 6 hours later or so,
> after compiling and building the whole glib world, it fails
> with the error message that the earlier version of glib is still
> laying around.  What's the recommended way to fix this?

pkg_delete glib ?

> I love PHP5 and all of my newer boxes run PHP5.  But I need
> to setup and test a 3rd party app stuck back in the stone age
> which is why I'm turning on my ss20, etc. and upgrading it.
> But it appears official PHP for 3.0 is PHP5 (yeah!) but I need
> to run PHP4 (groan!).   I believe it used to be possible to
> force PHP to be PHP4 by adding PHP_VERSION=4 in mk.conf
> Is this still possible in NetBSD 3.0?

Sure. I'm still using php4.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>