Subject: Re: Problems booting SPARCstation IPX from miniroot
To: Nick Hudson <nick.hudson@dsl.pipex.com>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/21/2006 12:55:06
On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:21:29AM +0000, Nick Hudson wrote:
> Can you test the install? I seem to remember when I tried this recently I got
> a panic and/or illegal instruction core dumps. This is on my SS10.

Not sure if you're referring to panics booting from the miniroot, but I
also experienced some panics untarring the sets when installing 3.0 on my
dual SM61 SS10 (network booting and installing with sysinst). Turns out
that one of the DSIMMs was faulty - turning on the PROM's extended
diagnostics identified it (and the machine's been running flawlessly since
I removed it, albeit under fairly low load).

[p0] mj@snowbird:~$  uname -srmn && uptime
NetBSD snowbird.pimp.org.za 3.0_STABLE sparc
12:43PM  up 11 days, 13:03, 2 users, load averages: 0.21, 0.17, 0.15

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/
mj@turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/