Subject: Re: sparcpkg-3.0.iso available for testing
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Antonio Bravo <tonio@abravo.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/18/2006 04:08:34
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:22:07 +0100 (CET)
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:

>=20
> I've tried to make a bootable CD with NetBSD 3.0/sparc install sets
> and a bunch of useful packages. Please test, and let me know if
>=20
>   * the CD boots at all
>   * NetBSD can be installed from it
>   * the packages can be installed
>   * I should add any other packages to the final version of this CD

Useful work.Thanks for it !

the ISO has been working work me (ss10 and ss20 boxes).
Few remarks:

--> a typo in the spanish installation  message:
"Mensajes de instalacisn en Espaqol" ...
(..instalaci=F3n... espa=F1ol...)=20

--> packages:
no Slrn (!), Openmotif is included (Xpdf), so Nedit could well be too,
I suggest qt3: is snappy on my 2x100 boxes, much faster than gtk2, so
Texmaker and Lyx run very nice.
Postscript viewer: maybe GV ? Printing: CUPS + Foomatic + hpijs ? Maybe
Fltk + xpp ? Xfce4 is a nice desktop, but Xfce3 runs faster on slow
boxes. I really experience slooow behavior of everything Gtk2, for
instance GQview2 takes a while to draw, but GQview1 is almost fast as
Motif/Solaris on the same box.I mentioned already the good behavior of
Qt. Fox is nice too--> Xfe file manager for instance.
Gimp1 behaves well too.
Then for the fun: XBill, Xboard + gnuchess.

My most powerful sparc is 150+166mhz/512k cache, and Gtk2 is really slow
compared to Gtk1 and the others toolkits.So ideally I try to completely
avoid it.For instance, I use the SunOS Netscape mail client instead of
Sylpheed2 (will build old Sylpheed1 to compare).

 --=20
"Men alt dette er ikke begyndelsen", Knut HAMSUN, 1892