Subject: Install bootblock on sparc
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Delin <lists@unix.no-ip.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/06/2006 19:28:30
Hi!

I´m trying to get a sparc (ss20) system with RAID-1 rootdisks to work.
It is running NetBSD 3.0, and I try to follow the howto in the "NetBSD
guide" using the Sparc64 examples.

All is well until I try to install the bootblock on the newly created RAID
disk after copying the system to it.

Using # /usr/sbin/installboot -v /dev/rsd1a /usr/mdec/bootblk does not work,
I guess it is Sparc 64 specific, so I tried running:

-bash-2.05b# installboot -v /dev/rsd1a /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot
File system:         /dev/rsd1a
File system type:    raw (blocksize 8192, needswap 0)
Primary bootstrap:   /usr/mdec/bootxx
Secondary bootstrap: /boot
installboot: Need `-B bno' for raw file systems
installboot: Set bootstrap operation failed

In the guide there is no mention of any flags for handling raw type
filesystems on Sparc64.
I tried using "-B 1" as option as well, then I get no error messages and it
looks like the boot block installs, but I still can´t boot from that disk
in the OPB firmware.
I´m pretty sure I managed to get this working on the same machine using
NetBSD 2.0 some time back but I don´t remember how.

Any pointers of what could be wrong is appreciated,

Best regards
Daniel