Subject: Re: NMI: system interrupts: 40000000
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/03/2006 20:55:39
On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 06:50:22PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> Is there anything akin to memtest86+ for SPARCs?  I did a little poking
> around and I saw some indications that some of the Linux people have
> developed something like that for Linux; anyone know of anything
> similar either standalone or NetBSD?

You know, for the longest time my favorite memory test has been
to run a large compile from memory. Keep disk access to a minimum
(no swapping) for best results.

I once diagnosed incorrect memory (3-chip vs 9-chip SIMMS) in a 486
by doing a kernel build (with gcc). And not too long ago a guy at
work diagnosed an actual single bit error that caused a compiler
crash on Sunday nights.

I don't know what about compilers causes memory problems to surface,
but it seems to work remarkably well.

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"