Subject: Portland, Oregon Sun systems available
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Ted Havelka <ted@cs.pdx.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/02/2006 09:48:00
Hello all,

My name is Ted Havelka, and I've made a few posts mostly related to
announcements of Sun hardware available for adoption.  I volunteer at a
community computer center, FreeGeek.org in Portland Oregon, which recently
received a number of Sun systems ranging from Sparc 5's to an Ultra 60.

Many of these systems post, and most have memory and all the parts
required to make a complete system.  But FreeGeek does not employ Sun
hardware in its present infrastructure, so as it stands these systems are
destined to be recycled.  To my knowledge we have,

   +  1 Ultra 60,
   +  4 Ultra 10s,
   +  3 Sparc 10 stations,
   +  6 Sparc 5 stations,

Caveat:  we only have Sun keyboards and mice for about half of these
stations.

This week I'll start to assess and test to the point of posting the above
systems starting with the Ultra 60.  FreeGeek will attempt to sell the
Ultras.  One sold yesterday in their thrift store for $30.  I'm unsure of
the memory quantity and hard drive size in that box which sold.

FreeGeek will require me to ask a nominal fee for the Ultras which work,
perhaps $10 to $20 per, but the "pizza box" Sparc stations I would gladly
test and pay their scrap value to FreeGeek to see them in new homes in the
NetBSD community, if there's interest.

We can't pay shipping these computers out of city or state, so Portland
Oregon persons with interest have a better chance of getting some of this
hardware.  And those visiting, and those willing to pay shipping.

Should we recycle the Sparcs?  What's of value to the NetBSD-Sun community
these days?

- Ted
                                       -   O
Portland State Aerospace Society    -   _<_\_         Veris Industries
http://psas.pdx.edu                    W >\_             www.veris.com
ted@cs.pdx.edu                        ( ) ( )    ted.havelka@veris.com