Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.1 problem on SS20
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/10/2005 18:56:56
On 10.12.05, 18:17:43, Laurens Vets wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I compiled a GENERIC.MP kernel on my SparcStation 20 (NetBSD 2.1)
> according to the following document:
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kernel.

The build.sh script now simplifies this process, just type "./build.sh
-m sparc kernel=YOURCONF" in the top level src directory. The kernel
will be in src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/obj/YOURCONF
                                     ^^^^
		      not that this path element is different
		      to building the kernel manually

> However, when I reboot after following all those steps, I get the
> following error messages:
>
> Rebooting with command:
> Boot device:  /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0: a  File
> and args:
> >> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.14
> >> (builds@b4.netbsd.org, Tue Oct 25 00:32:09 UTC 2005)
> Booting netbsd
> read header
> read header
> Illegal Instruction
> Type help for more information
> <#0> ok
>

> Does anybody know why my kernel does not want to boot?  Also, how can I

No idea on that one.

> boot my old netbsd.old kernel?

Just stop the PROM boot process with Stop-A, then type
"boot netbsd.old"

stopping the NetBSD bootloader with space doesn't seem to work
reliably on sparc, but interrupting the PROM self-tests and giving
it the appropriate arguments works.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Agnostics in the Platform Religious Wars.
		-- Erik E. Fair