Subject: Re: disk for SS20 ?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Ted Havelka <ted@cs.pdx.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/05/2005 16:05:30
Hello Simon,

My name's Ted Havelka, and I volunteer at the community technology center
FreeGeek in Portland, Oregon.  ( Visit http://www.freegeek.org )  I'm one
of the small core of Sun enthusiasts there, and I bet FreeGeek would be
willing to sell you a SCSI drive between 4 and 6 GB for $5 or less.
Shipping might be the greater part of the cost to get such a drive to you.

I keep my eye out for Sun and SCSI gear coming to our non-profit, which
receives some 200 to 300 computers a week from local area businesses,
schools and individuls.  I've been pulling aside SCSI drives and testing
them myself using mke2fs to do complete write and read-back tests, so that
we have working spares for projects like rejuvinating older Sun systems.

Also, I reject drives that are particularly noisy.

I would have to look for a Sparc 20 at FreeGeek and check the style of
hard-drive connector on it.  I run NetBSD on a Sparc IPX, which takes one
of the older styles of SCSI and probably differs in style of drive from
an SS20.

If other options fail to meet your need, send me an e-mail and I'll see
what we can do to help you.

- Ted
                                       -   O
Portland State Aerospace Society    -   _<_\_         Veris Industries
http://psas.pdx.edu                    W >\_             www.veris.com
ted@cs.pdx.edu                        ( ) ( )    ted.havelka@veris.com