Subject: Re: problems with newfs on sparc during instal:x
To: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/01/2005 21:32:33
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 10:29:33AM +0100, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, David.
>
> >> # newfs -O 2 -b  8192 -f 1024 /dev/rsd0f
> >> newfs: maximum file system size on `/dev/rsd0f' is 1048572 sectors
> >
> > Hum... that can't easily fail.
> > The kernel must be returning incorrect values somewhere!
>
> This only fails when executed from sysinst.  Typed into the
> shell, it works fine.

I thought you'd managed to get it to fail whne typed in at the shell.
In any case sysinst execs disklabel to write the label and then newfs,
so it is unlikely that sysinst itself it at fault.

I've changed the error message (on head) so that it includes both sizes.
So at least there will be some extra info!

There was a problem with an uninitialised structure (from which a size
could have been taken) - but that was fixed before netbsd 2.0.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk