Subject: Re: pondering NKMEMPAGES{_MAX}
To: None <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/01/2005 14:13:24
"John D. Baker" <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com> wrote:
> I'm curious about other ports having problems like this.  I can't really
> investigate directly as my SPARC systems are the only ones with sufficient
> memory to exhibit the problem.

FWIW, I have an Alpha with 1 GB of RAM (DS10) running 2.0.2_STABLE.  I've
never seen the problem there, and i don't mess with the setting.  By
default it's set to:

vm.nkmempages = 16384

 Same for a Sun AXi (UltraSPARC-IIi) board with 512 MB RAM, running NetBSD
2.1_STABLE.

  On my SPARC NetBSD systems running 2.x, in the kernel, i set nkmempages
to 5120, and that took care of the panics i was seeing when i firsts
tarted running 2.x awhile back.  The sparcs i run generally have about 256
- 320 MB of RAM.

 -johan