Subject: Re: Success, finally!
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Heitzso <heitzso@growthmodels.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/22/2005 07:19:38
Bruce O'Neel wrote:

>I wonder if it is worth having NKMEMPAGES_MAX set bigger in the
>GENERIC kernel?  I suspect that most of the sparc systems
>that are running NetBSD today have a fair bit of memory, if for
>no other reason than it's both cheap and the upgrade is
>worth it if you have an old system.

Regarding this, some nice clean doc on how these
variables interact would be useful.  For example, I
ran out of mem on my ss20 w/ 512M.  Ran into both
    NKMEMPAGES
and
    NKMEMPAGES_MAX
google and various email lists.

I bumped up NKMEMPAGES but I feel anxious
because there's also the _MAX variant, etc.  In my
case bumping up NKMEMPAGES but not
NKMEMPAGES_MAX managed to up the reported
sysctl for nkmempages and everything seems to be
okay.  ... but what is the algorighm that controls this?
Why would someone want to touch one and not the
other?

Etc.

Just trying to flag an area that is ambiguous.