Subject: Re: Michael's sparcbook stuff
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Michael Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/19/2005 20:47:38
On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 09:04:19PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> I had a problem with my old HD in my sparcbook and it no longer boots.
>> I figured this was as good a time as any to install NetBSD on it, so
>> I went and grabbed the latest stuff Michael posted to his area on
>> ftp.netbsd.org and got it to install.
>
> All you need (including X) is in -current now, no need to use the old stuff
> from ftp - just grab a recent snapshot from releng and build your own kernel,
> I'm pretty sure your opinion about usefulness of certain drivers differs from
> mine ;)

Never tracked -current before, nor have I built anything more than the
(release) kernel or pkgsrc, this will be a whole new adventure. =)

>> Here's where things get a little goofy, I can boot it up fine, log in
>> once, but when I log out and back in, I get:
>>
>> "getty respawning too quickly on /dev/console, sleeping"
>
> You need to change /etc/ttys a bit - put gettys on /dev/ttyE*, don't put one
> on /dev/console if you're using a wscons kernel ( which is what you want after
> all )
> Make sure the ttyE* entries exist.
>
> Something like this:
> #console        "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    sun-ss5 on secure
> ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   xterm-color     on  secure
> ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   xterm-color     on  secure
> ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   xterm-color     on  secure
> ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   xterm-color     on  secure
>
> And set wscons=yes in your rc.conf to get a handful virtual consoles
> ( switch with Alt-F1...Fn )
> In case you're wondering about the terminal type - vt220 would be right
> but it implies 80x24 while the sparcbook console may be bigger which may
> give funny effects ( like programs not using the full screen when they
> should ) - xterm-color can cope with that.

Done.  And it still does the same thing.  I can continue to log in over
ssh, but from the ttys, I get locked out after I log out after the first
(only) time.  I see the gettys on the other wscons, but after I put in
my username, I get kicked back to the login prompt.

Might be bugs with the build I'm running, time to start fetching stuff.

>> (btw, this does feel much faster than Solaris 2.6 did)
>
> Yeah, using the blitter on the console can cause this kind of effects
> ;)

Also, ssh-ing to and from it is MUCH faster.

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org