Subject: Re: wscons and XFree keyboard problems on SPARCbook 3TX
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/29/2005 23:39:25
On 28.10.05, 18:59:54, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> This is odd, X -configure should generate a config file that only needs
> to get DefaultDepth adjusted. So far I didn't find out how to set that
> as default, there are a couple more urgent problems to sort out and
> this is comparably cosmetic ...

Indeed, this is not urgent ...

> For instance there is an ugly problem with the way the driver writes
> the cursor bitmap into the DAC - sometimes the DAC would lose track of
> the address to write to for some reason with the result that the driver
> stomps all over the DAC's registers which has rather funny effects on
> the display. I think I found a fix and I'm going to commit it soon, so
> for the time being - run powerd so you can shut down the machine using
> the power button.

Since my machines are always networked, I can always get a remote
shell and finish whatever I was doing and reboot gracefully.

Is there a workaround to use a software cursor instead?

> When you run X and the display suddenly freezes ( typically during
> mouse movement when the cursor shape is supposed to change ) and the
> image seems to decay then the above mentioned thing happened. The
> effect is hard to describe but you'll know it when you see it.

Yes, and I've seen this effect on various other machines, too, including
some older i386 notebooks.

> Your keyboard section should look like this:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>     Driver      "kbd"
>     Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
>     Option "XkbModel"   "pc101"
>     Option "XkbLayout"  "us"
>     Option "Protocol"   "wskbd"
>     Option "Device"     "/dev/wskbd0"
> EndSection

That works fine, thanks a lot!

Unfortunately, just after I tested it my disk started developing
problems. I overwrote it once completely with zeros, hoping to get
any bad blocks mapped out, after managing to save my config files
from /etc, but I'm afraid I'll have to replace it.

> ... provided you want us layout. This is what I'm using on my 3GX.
> Hmm, using /dev/wskbd /should/ work but doesn't for some reason. Using
> /dev/wskbd0 however works.

Maybe this is related to "mux ignored" messages for wskbd and
wsmouse during bootup? I also use /dev/wsmouse0, not /dev/wsmouse

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: An Operating System For Everyone
		-- Mike Latinovich