Subject: Re: Cross Compilation Question
To: Gary Parker <G.J.Parker@lboro.ac.uk>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/27/2005 07:05:39
--Signature_Thu__27_Oct_2005_07_05_39_-0400_q.8mJ76_jkjiaFoB

Hello,

> > build.sh has a "sets" command that you probably want to use instead
> > of "install" here.
>=20
> Thanks for the pointer Martin, I've built the sets and copied over the
> contents of /usr/src/obj/releasedir/sparc to the SS20.
>=20
> Now...I seem to be having a total no-brainer day to day, how exactly
> do i run the upgrade procedure now? The NetBSD documentation makes
> some vague references to running sysinst but isn't particularly
> verbose about it and I can't find the application itself.

Here's my quick'n'dirty upgrade by hand guide:
The very first thing you do should be to upgrade the bootblocks on the
target machine, but I think you already did that. New kernels may need
new bootblocks to load properly, new bootblocks can boot old and new
kernels.
Then upgrade the kernel. Keep the old one around in case the new one
doesn't work for some reason. Everything that follows assumes you're
running a new kernel - you can run old userlands on new kernels ( to
some extent. Tools which dig around in kernel space, like systat and
friends, may or may not not work ) but usually not the other way around.
Now unpack the file sets ( base.tgz and so on ) in / on the target
machine. Make sure you pass tar the p flag or it won't restore file
ownership and permissions correctly which leads to all sorts of
weirdnesses ( like su never succeeding which is highly annoying ).
Either skip etc.tgz or backup the files you changed in /etc and put them
back after unpacking. With minor upgrades you'll want the former, with
major upgrades ( like 1.x to 2.x, probably even 2.0 to 2.1 ) you'll want
the latter. When that's done cross fingers, reboot. Log in as root and
run 'postinstall fix' to clean up obsolete files and so on. That's it.

have fun
Michael