Subject: Re: building -current, CPU optimizations, and the 'sh' problem.
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: John D. Baker <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/14/2005 23:04:30
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Rick Kelly wrote:

> I have an SS5/110 running -current from 9/26/2005.
>
> cpu0 at mainbus0: MB86904 @ 110 MHz, on-chip FPU
> cpu0: 16K instruction (32 b/l), 8K data (16 b/l): cache enabled
>
> /etc/mk.conf:
>
> CPUFLAGS = -mv8 -mtune=supersparc
>
> /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf/RODENT:
>
> makeoptions     CPUFLAGS="-mv8 -mtune=supersparc"
>
> I'm not having any problems with sh at this time.

I've been anticipating doing this myself--rebuilding everything with
those options set, not just /bin/sh.  I've built a /bin/sh with -g
(and a stale -mcpu=supersparc in mk.conf).  Stripped, it's not too
bad for size.  It's passed the first hurdle (building pkgtools/digest).
Once I've confirmed that the debug-built sh is probably OK, I'll turn
the machine loose on the system sources again...

"You are in a maze of twisty compiler features, all different."

--
John D. Baker, KN5UKS                    NetBSD     Darwin/MacOS X
jdbaker(at)mylinuxisp(dot)com                 OpenBSD            FreeBSD