Subject: Re: building -current, CPU optimizations, and the 'sh' problem.
To: John D. Baker <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
From: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/14/2005 21:09:08
--0XhtP95kHFp3KGBe

On 2005.10.14 12:11:24 -0500, John D. Baker wrote:
| My SS5-110 system finished building a complete release set a couple of
| days ago, including X11.  These were from -current last updated around
| 7 October.  They were built with '-mcpu=3Dsupersparc' which is the cpu
| flag indicated by pkgsrc/devel/cpuflags for the Fujitsu MB86904.  (Can
| someone point me to documentation for why this is appropriate rather
| than the generic 'v8'?  The SPARC v8 manual doesn't mention this part
| and the SUN STP1012 manual is very vague.)

-mcpu=3Dsupersparc and -mcpu=3Dv8 are very similar. I wonder if they
 produce any significant change in the code.

| My procedure was:
|=20
|     build tools and kernel (I just went ahead with custom-tailored one.)
|     reboot with new kernel
|     build
|     install=3D/
|     reboot with new userland
|     release
|=20
| The layout of an installation must have changed between 2.x and 3.x
| (or between netbsd-3 and -current).  The X11 config files seem to be
| exclusively in /etc/X11 rather than symlinked from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11.
| This caused postinstall to fail the x11 update because /etc/X11/*
| existed concurrently with corresponding /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/* files.
| It appears these were left over from my previous 2.99.10 (or earlier)
| installation.
|=20
| So, I simply nuked /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11/* before doing the install.
| This mostly worked, except the new /etc/X11/* directories were created
| but not populated.  This was simple enough to fix, copying them (with
| tar) from my defined DEST directory.

20040516:
        The end-user modifiable X11 configuration has been moved
        from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/<dir> to /etc/X11/<dir>.
        Ensure that src and xsrc is up to date, and run
        "make cleandir" in src/x11 before your next build.

        postinstall currently doesn't migrate the files from
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/* to /etc/X11/* although it does
        detect that this needs to occur, so you'll have to
        manually move these files yourself.

| So far, so good.  I've recently set about building extras from pkgsrc
| and have started running into the problems with 'sh'.  In my case, it
| elicits Bus Error and dumps core, usually after the install phase of
| a package dependency, but I soon hit a showstopper where it failed
| in the middle of the build step.
|=20
| Recalling the discussion in the archives, I've rebuilt just /bin/sh with
| the generic "-mcpu=3Dv8" option and installed it.  I'm now starting my
| package builds over.  The early indications looked good, but now I'm
| getting Segmentation Fault from sh.
|=20
| For comparison, on my dual HS150 SS20 where everything was built with
| -mcpu=3Dhypersparc, I haven't had any problems so far.

Do you know the ammount of CPU cache both systems have?

		-- Rui Paulo

--0XhtP95kHFp3KGBe

--0XhtP95kHFp3KGBe--