Subject: Re: XFree86
To: None <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Michael Lorenz <email@example.com>
Date: 10/04/2005 19:32:43
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
> Thanks, is the advantage of XFree86 over Xsun (on cgsix) only in
> supporting newer extensions like RENDER, or does XFree86 also offer
> better performance?
I did some measurements with x11perf.
Results are mixed:
- blitter operations, like filling and copying rectangles are faster=20
- image transfers ( host to screen ) are faster with XFree86=20
- text rendering is faster with Xsun, but my XFree driver has no special
text rendering code yet so XFree uses indirect colour expansion which
gives a small performance hit
- line drawing is about the same speed
- more complex operations, like moving/drawing/hiding windows are faster
Speed differences aren't big though, usually about 5%.
I used an Ultra 1 with a TGX+, running -current XFree86 and Xsun from
xsrc, bleeding edge suncg6 driver I'm going to commit pretty soon which
implements line drawing and handles all blitter operations
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (NetBSD)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----