Subject: Re: SPARCbook audio
To: None <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/16/2005 14:50:50
--Signature_Sat__16_Jul_2005_14_50_50_-0400_ULOkUrSxA2nAbKhu

Hello,

> > This seems to be a generic problem - people with all kinds of sparc
> > hardware complained about processes dying seemingly at random.
>=20
> Reassuring that it's not my hardware that has gone faulty :)

Well, my hardware /is/ faulty ( one of the SIMMs has a bad bit ) but I
don't see nearly as many dying processes as others do, usually it's gcc
spewing random internal compiler errors but the rest just works.

> > That would be helpful - I didn't see a kernel panic that wasn't
> > related to me hacking something for ages. As far as I know the only
> > difference between the 3GX and the 3TX is the CPU ( and therefore L2
> > cache ).
> > Did older SPARCBOOK kernels work better? Maybe it's the CPU power
> > saving stuff, I'm not sure it's doing The Right Thing(tm) for
> > TurboSPARC CPUs.
>=20
> It still appears to run pretty hot, case temperature around 38C ...
> I didn't measure it with 2.0, so I wouldn't know if it's significantly
> better, but it's still too warm to keep in the lap.

Hmm, mine hovers around 35C when idle, so 38C isn't too bad as long as
the temperature falls when there's nothing to do ( since the case is the
heatsink this will take some time ). With the old code it wouldn't cool
down at all.

> > Which one? Xsun won't work with the SPARCBOOK kernels, mainly
> > because the display driver doesn't try to emulate a cg3 anymore. The
> > XFree86 stuff from
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/macallan/sparc/
> > should work.
>=20
> Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I'll try that one, thanks.

Heh, this will give you a hardware cursor and some basic acceleration,
not to talk about all the nifty XFree extensions ;)
The XF86Config I provided should work for you ( configuration of an SBus
video controller isn't exactly straight forward, it will need a /dev/fb0
- you may have to mknod it or set a symlink to /dev/fb ).

> > Try the userland from
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/macallan/sparc/sets/ - works
> > tolerably well here. No idea about releng snapshots, I always built
> > my own ( mainly for -mcpu=3Dv8 )
>=20
> Even without explicit v8 optimisation, ssh appears to be a lot
> faster on -current than it was on 2.0. My gut feeling says about
> twice as fast, but I may be wrong.

openssl now has its own CPU detection and will use v8 assembler code
when encountering a CPU that understands it.

> But if it's a general problem with randomly dying processes, I
> might as well stick with my own builds. I thought maybe my snapshot
> was particularly flaky.

Maybe it was, I really don't know. -current on sparc definitely has some
oddities.

have fun
Michael