Subject: le0: memory error
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/24/2005 16:32:05
Hi,

I have a SS clone that is some kind of a mixture of a SS10 and a SS20.

The le0 onboard ethernet worked fine all the time I set up and tested the
box, but when I wanted to put it in production as an ADSL router today some
problems showed up.

The system is:
NetBSD 3.0_BETA (SPARC-TEST) #0: Wed Jun 15 16:21:50 CEST 2005
ledma0 at sbus0 slot 15 offset 0x400010: DMA rev 2
le0 at ledma0 slot 15 offset 0xc00000 level 6: address 00:40:dc:01:04:d6
le0: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers

When using ifconfig to configure the interface the messages "le0: memory
error" or "le0: controller failed to initialize" showed up and ifconfig
reports "no carrier" although the switch at the other end of the cable
shows that the link is present.

The system configuration is unchanged from when it still worked, but le(4)
states that these messages may indicate a hardware failure, and I'm
somewhat concerned that this might indeed be the case.

The SPARC box and the system where the other end of the cable from le0 was
connected to are powered by different wall outlets and I forgot to unplug
them before changing cables. Dunno if there's potential difference between
the outlets that could have killed it, but that's about the only reason
that I can think of at the moment for it to stop working suddenly.

Any other ideas what might have cause that and how to fix it?

(Fortunately I had a spare hme/esp combo board to put in as a replacement
and all works nicely now.)

Bye, Chris