Subject: Re: Browsers on NetBSD sparc
To: Laurens Vets <laurens@daemon.be>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/04/2005 07:26:15
--Signature_Sat__4_Jun_2005_07_26_15_-0400_9BYB86z59TQVoDn6

Hello,

> > It uses Xsun or Xsun24, you can install XFree86, it should support
> > whatever graphics adapter you're using ( probably unaccelerated
> > though ) but getting it to work is not quite trivial. I did it for
> > my SPARCbook, mainly to write a driver for the graphics chip but
> > because one of the RAM modules has problems I won't be able to do
> > anything about that any time soon.
>=20
> Hmmm, not quite an option for me then :)

I guess so, since it also requires a kernel with wscons support which is
- so far - only supported for cg6 and p9100 graphics controllers on
sparc and some bits for proper wskbd/wsmouse support aren't committed
yet.

> Somebody told me that I have to make sure that LD_LIBRARY_PATH must be
> set correctly.=20

An ugly workaround at best - this really shouldn't be necessary.

> I've rebuild mozilla and noticed a segmentation fault
> at  the very end: (maybe I missed that previously...)

> Mozilla is installed though.  If it has nothing to do with that
> segfault  I'll try to run gdb.
I guess the segfault while installing is in a way related, but I can't
really investigate this right now - all my Suns with enough horsepower
and memory run NetBSD/sparc64 which has its own slew of problems with
mozilla. In this case it used to help just to delete
/usr/pkg/lib/mozilla/components/libtransformiix.so - doesn't make
mozilla stable but at least it doesn't crash on startup. No idea if that
would do anything on sparc though.

> >>I'm trying, it doesn't work though :)
> >=20
> > Let's see if it's something easy. It's supposed to work though. In
> > doubt you can (probably) run the Solaris binary ;)
>=20
> Should I maybe post a bug for this?  Along with the work.log etc?

There probably is more than one already, problems with mozilla are by no
means new.

have fun
Michael